A Florida native, Susan claims home in the Jefferson, North Carolina mountains. Susan began painting in 2007 and researched many contemporary artists before being influenced by Zao Wou-Ki and Chu Teh-Chun, Chinese artists, who had stellar careers after moving to France to focus on Western oil painting mid-20th century. Susan, with her husband Tom Truxal, traveled to China with the intention of incorporating Chinese ink painting techniques in her art. She completed a BFA that included a senior juried semester and exhibition at Appalachian State University College of Fine Arts.
- 39th Northwest Artist’s Juried Competition and Exhibition 2018, Wilkes Art Gallery, North Wilkesboro, NC. Awarded “Best of Show”: Metanoia, 2017, 48x60. July 20 – August 31, 2018.
- Artisans in Residence at Edgewood Cottage 2018, Blowing Rock Historical Society, Blowing Rock, NC. Solo exhibit August 22-28, 2018.
- Shadow of the Hills 2018, Blue Ridge Art Clan 40th Anniversary Exhibit, Ashe County Arts Council. West Jefferson, NC.
- Anything Goes! Annual Juried Exhibit 2018, Arrowhead Artists and Artisan League (A3L), Old Fort, NC.
- Away Juried Exhibition: China, Netherlands, Spain, Scotland 2017, Blowing Rock Art & History Museum, Appalachian State University College of Fine Arts Study Abroad Program.
- Best of the Blue Ridge Juried Art Competition 2017, Ashe County Arts Council, West Jefferson, NC.
- Chancellor’s Home Juried Exhibit 2017, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC.
- Blue Ridge Artisan Guild, Juried Member, Wilkesboro, NC
- Arrowhead Artists and Artisan League (A3L), Old Fort, NC
- Wilkesboro Art Gallery, North Wilkesboro, NC
- Ashe County Arts Council, Gallery Committee, West Jefferson, NC